Sunday, April 19, 2009

Focusing on making a happy place for me

I didn't realize that it's been a few weeks since I last posted. I've been immersed in home decorating and organization books and magazines. I just love the library.

Martha Stewart Living and Real Simple are two of my favorite resources. Both have free electronic newsletters that are filled with a ton of ideas. I also like Apartment Therapy as an online resource. It's a great site for people who live in 1,000 square feet or less. It's amazing what people can do with less than 500 square feet of living space! I'm inspired to continue decluttering.

I've been setting up my outdoor space. I enjoy spending time outside when the weather's nice. I've planted herbs, flowers, and strawberries and placed a cheery yellow bistro dining set on the balcony.



I wanted to add window boxes to my balcony rail. But, I ran into a few challenges. First, the only window boxes I found at the local big box home improvement stores were ones that needed to be secured by screws in the wood. I don't want to do that in a rental. Second, I found hook-on ones, but these were by mail order. Finally, I tried a hybrid version of a hook-on bracket on which you place a separate planter box. It did NOT work. In the end, I used the planter stand above which I was using for a different purpose. I got it from Jo-Ann's during a end-of-season clearance. I'll have to visit Jo-Ann's again during clearance time to see if I can get another one.
I've added some greenery inside as well. Indoor plants do much to clean your air, provide a calming, natural presence, and improve the chi in your home. I love cut flowers but I don't buy them often because of the expense. However, if I were to really examine my spending habits I would find that I waste a lot of money during the week buying snacks or eating fast food. In place of buying cut flowers each week, I decided to buy a flowering houseplant. I hope this will provide everlasting blooms. Gerbera daisies were 50% off at the home improvement store. I already have a peace lily, which I recently divided, to add more blossoms to my space. I might have to go back and buy another Gerbera daisy or two.
Here are some of my favorite finds from the Internet to help you improve your life.

That's it for this week. I hope you have a fabulous spring week!


















No comments: