Monday, September 10, 2007

The not so simple life

Well, the last two weeks have been busy. I have not been living the simple life.

We had a not so small Labor Day cookout where about 50+ family and friends attended. We served 12 slabs of BBQ ribs, 40 pounds of chicken, 10 pounds half smokes, 10 pounds hot dogs, 10 pounds hamburgers along with fried fish, 15 pounds of potato salad, baked beans, seafood salad, garden salad, veggie tray, 8 dozen deviled eggs, and three types of cake, ice cream, and 3 watermelons. Of course there were cases upon cases of soda, water, and beer. The first guest, who was also our DJ, came around 3:00 pm and the last guests left around 1:00 am.

Smartie Pants and friends played Playstation and computer games most of the day. Little Miss and friends ran in and out of the house all day. And, Miss Diva and friends posed for each other a whole lot. Later on that night the billards and card playing started. This is Big Daddy's and friends favorite activity during cookouts.

I cooked a lot, cleaned a little, ate a bunch, and socialized. Around 9 p.m. I retreated to my studio, watched educational TV, and played with my supplies. I was exhausted. The next day I didn't get out of bed until afternoon.

I find that the older I get, the more introverted I become. Once upon a time I was thrilled to attend and throw parties. In college we started partying on Thursday and didn't stop until late Sunday night. Now, organizing a party is a huge project and by the time it's all finished I'm emotionally and physically drained. Does that mean I'm getting old or is life too complicated? I love getting together with friends but it's not the same as when I was 20 something.

Saturday I attend a 12-hour charity crop. The crop generated money and donations for Soldiers' Angels and was organized by Kristie Lippert, a TLC Consultant. Her husband is currently deployed and has been away for 2 1/2 years. E.V. and I attended together (of course) and the place was packed! Kristie sent the group an email saying we generated hundreds of dollars which will provide many phone cards for our soldiers. It's all good.

I'm hosting a crop at home this Saturday. It will be an intimate gathering where I may teach a class or some technique to the group. I've been considering holding charity crops to benefit cancer research at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. They've saved my life more than once and I'd like to return something to them and other patients. I'm still perculating ideas and methods to accomplish this. Please feel free to share your thoughts to help me along.

No comments: