Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Man, it's cold out here.

Today is a snow and ice day. The schools are closed. The government opened 2-hours later than usual after sending workers home early yesterday. The flights in and out of DCA were canceled because of an ice storm that came through yesterday and today. I think the ice and snow have stopped for the day, thankfully. You know it's been really cold around here when the Potomac river starts to ice over. It's beautiful but treacherous. It's been a few years since ice has formed on the river during winter.






I am scheduled to go on an overnight trip to Atlanta tomorrow morning. I’m wondering if the airport will be in working order by then. I don’t like to take chances with ice. Whenever it ices really bad and I'm suppose to fly, I remember the Air Florida plane crash of 1982 when the pilot decided to forego a second de-icing of the plane just prior to taking off from DCA. The plane went down just a mile after take off, hit a bridge, and landed in the frozen Potomac river.

Even though it's cold, snowy, and icy here, it's nothing like the snow that upstate New York has experienced recently. Now, that's a snow storm!

Incidents like this remind me of how fragile life is. We should strive to live and enjoy life every day. I find that too often I'm going through my routine without being aware--truly aware of what I'm doing or what's going on. Not good. Today, I ask that you join me to take time to focus and pay attention to the details of life that make us happy. Let's thank God for the blessings He has bestowed upon us. Let's tell our family and friends how much we love and appreciate them. I LOVE YOU! Let's show and share our joy. It's wonderfully contagious.


May many blessings come your way.

No comments: