Saturday, January 22, 2011

Yummy vegetable stir fry

Today I made vegetable stir fry for lunch. I dug out fresh veggies from the frig and the pantry.



 I had broccoli, carrots, cremini mushroom, green bell pepper, celery, yellow onion, scallions, garlic, and ginger. I prep everything.



If you're not familiar with fresh ginger. It's sold in the produce section and looks like this.





You have to peel it and you'll end up with a fibrous, yellow flesh underneath.





Here's what fresh garlic looks like.








I made a sauce from these ingredients and set it aside. I didn't measure anything. I just added this and that until it tasted good.





I don't have a wok. I also don't have peanut oil for stir frying. So, using what I have. Here's what I did:

  • Heat a black iron skillet over medium high heat until hot.
  • Add about a tablespoon of room temperature canola oil.
  • Add sliced onions and stir fry until just soft.
  • Add minced garlic and ginger and stir fry until fragrant.
  • Remove the vegetables from pan, swish around hot water to clean, and wipe out any bits out. (Burnt garlic is just nasty.)
  • Dry and reheat skillet until hot. 
  • Add about a tablespoon of room temperature canola oil.
  • Stir fry the broccoli florets until bright green and still very crunchy.
  • Add celery and green bell peppers; stir fry about 30 seconds.
  • Add carrots and mushrooms; stir fry about 30 seconds.
  • Return the onion, garlic, ginger mix to the skillet; mix well.
  • Add the sauce; mix well.
  • Turn off heat and let the residual heat finish the cooking to the desired crunchiness.
  • Mixed one more time to thoroughly blend the flavors, adding more sesame oil because I love the nutty flavor.




Serve over steamed brown rice.

That's my yummy vegetable stir fry! I hope you enjoy!

No comments: